Our employee of the month is Ryan Williams from New York.
Ryan has been working with Chess Wizards for 7 years and is a member of the WITS team, managing our New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut area Wizards. He has an amazing work ethic and truly believes in connecting with his students. Ryan is a committed employee and team player and we are lucky to have him.
Ryan, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift from us.
Chek out our interview with Ryan below:
1. Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
I’m Ryan Williams, I come from Rockland NY, and I don’t know where but I’m going places.
2. How long have you been teaching with Chess Wizards?
I’ve been teaching with Chess Wizards for about 7 years now.
3. What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
That you do the best for yourself when you do your best for others.
4. What is the most exciting experience you have had while playing or teaching chess?
I taught a person how to play in 30 minutes while on a plane.
5. How do you motivate your students to succeed?
Showing them how to use the game to function in their own lives.
6. If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
Share it more with myself and with those I care about.
7. What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
I’m fun but I’m firm. Everything we do, we do together. If someone has a question we can solve it together. If one person wins we all win.
8. What is an unusual place you have been to?
My friend always wanted to go to Lips for her birthday. I took her and that place was quite interesting fun and unusual.
9. Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
Most people don’t know I’m a musician and song writer.
10. What’s your #1 teaching tip?
Always keep learning. If you learn what the children like and can translate chess with their interests, you’ll always have their interests.
11. What is something interesting that you’re involved in, outside of Chess Wizards?
I do foley and music scores for horror/comedy films.
12. If you saw a kangaroo and a chimpanzee playing chess what would you do? Who do you think would win?
I’d take a distant selfie with them and leave. I would be the winner in that moment…
13. Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
I keep both in my collection…
14. What do you like most about working with Chess Wizards?
Being able to grow with you all.